Contrast Assignment #1 - Due Thursday, January 28, 2016
So far we have studied the principles of design: balance and unity. We should be familiar with symmetrical and asymmetrical balance, approximate symmetry, and radial balance. We should also understand that we can unify our art by using dominant objects, repeating visual units, using certain color schemes, and introducing a certain surface quality/texture in our artwork.
This week we will begin studying another principle of design, contrast. Answer the following questions using complete sentences.
1. What is the art definition of contrast?
2. What is the difference between contrast and variety?
3. Why would an artist want to use contrast in his or her work?
4. Think about a visual contrast somewhere here at school. Describe that contrast.
5. Consider the painting below. Describe two contrasts you see.